Please see below for important information pertaining to COVID 19 and travel.
**Please note: Please check COVID guidelines for any country that you will transit through during a connecting flight, as many restrictions will still apply even in transit.
Up-to-date requirements for US travelers can be found on the embassy website here.
Entry and Exit Requirements
Opening information US Citizens:
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes (Airport temperature scans and random screenings)
An EU Digital Certificate must be presented if the traveler does not present a negative COVID test (PCR 72 hours or Rapid Antigen – 24 hours). PLEASE CONFIRM WITH YOUR AIRLINE COMPANY IF YOUR VACCINATION CERTIFICATE IS VALID BEFORE MAKING TRAVEL PLANS.
Passengers unable to submit an EU Digital Vaccination Certificate: All passengers 12 years old older must present a negative COVID 19 test:
- PCR / NAAT test 72 hours before boarding or a rapid Antigen / TRAg test 24 hours before boarding. Additionally, a Passenger Locator Card must be completed and submitted. (Some airlines require completion of this form before take-off. We advise completing and printing prior to scheduled travel)
The requirement for an EU Digital Certificate or a negative COVID test to be presented also applies to passengers transiting Portugal and is applicable to sea and land travel.
Permission to enter Portugal is the sole responsibility of the Portuguese Government. As part of the admission process prior to boarding flights and at the border, travelers must present written evidence of or the appropriate visa permitting entry to Portugal. Please note that Portuguese Immigration (SEF) does not review evidence and does not make any determination about admission prior to the travelers’ arrival at the border control.
Passengers without a negative test:
- Foreign nationals / non-residents arriving without a test will be fined (along with the airline) and returned on the next available flight.
- Portuguese residents may be subject to mandatory testing at the airport at their own expense upon arrival, in addition to a mandatory quarantine by Portuguese health authorities until a negative COVID test can be produced.
- Important Entry Information:
- U.S. Citizens: Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter Portugal? Yes. Current regulations allow U.S. citizens to travel directly from the United States to Portugal for non-essential travel (i.e. tourism) with proof of an accepted COVID-19 test.
- Expired Portuguese document validity was extended until March 31, 2022. This extended validity period applies to Portuguese-issued, citizen cards (cartão de cidadão), residency documents, visas and permits concerning the stay of foreign nationals in Portugal.
- Permits and visas regarding stays in Portugal are still accepted under the same terms after March 31, 2022, as long as citizens submit supporting evidence that a request for an appointment for renewal has been submitted to SEF.
- For more information and guidance, contact the nearest Portuguese Embassy or Consulate or the Portuguese immigration authorities at the following link: pt
- Travelers holding a residency permit or possessing a residency visa issued by the Portuguese authorities, or legal residents of an EU country or family members of an EU citizen, are also allowed to enter or transit Portugal for non-essential travel. Essential travel as determined by Portuguese authorities is currently permitted such as for professional purposes, study, family reunification, medical, or humanitarian travel.
- Non-essential travel (tourist travel) from the European Union, from Schengen-associated countries (Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland), and from the U.K. is also allowed.
- Long-term visa holders, such as students, may be permitted, but travelers should contact the nearest Portuguese Embassy or Consulate to confirm that their visa permits entry.
- Borders: Land borders between Portugal and Spain are open.